Antique Drum Thermo-Hygrograph by Richard Frères c1910 – SOLD
Antique thermo-hygrograph having celadon green painted aluminium movement arranged vertically, being raised upon twin columns and a plate set perpendicular to a horizontal full length chassis. Bi-metallic temperature sensing element affixed to the chassis verso with adjustment squares for temperature and humidity. Horse hair hygrometer, chassis mounted arrestor bar, the drum of standard 3½” diameter but 7” in height. Eight-day clockwork movement with platform escapement. The chassis struck with Richard Frères “RF, Paris” logogram and serial no. “209016.” Contained within its original japanned steel case with celadon green interior, hinged to one end, swinging catches at the opposing, the lid with single glass, large perforations for increased air flow, alloy plate to top front, struck “Sté Ame des Etablissements, Jules Richard, 25 rue Mélingue, Paris.”
A timely rescue, acquired in original though neglected condition, this instrument has been the subject of an extensive overhaul and conservation. Both sensing mechanisms completely disassembled, cleaned, conserved and re-set to optimum. The original pens cleaned and re-set. The cabinet, after careful conservation, has revealed much of its former colour and appearance. Some small losses to finish, areas of localised surface corrosion to plinth.
These instruments, utilitarian in appearance, were intended for use outside the house – many were to be found in orangeries, greenhouses and hatcheries. Presented in very good working order and original condition, it is particularly sensitive and accurate as shown by the up-to-date trace.
The perfect gift for the serious gardener, and very collectable.
Jules Richard (1848-1930), headquartered at 25 rue Mélingue, Paris, in the early 1900s, was a second generation instrument maker, the son of Félix Richard and nephew of the electrical instrument maker Gustave Froment. Jules was trained partly in his father’s workshop in Paris and then with several other craftsmen, including a clockmaker. During the 1870s he worked in the manufacture of telegraphy equipment and is said to have collaborated at this early period with E. J. Marey, the experimental physiologist who devised electrical and photographic recording techniques. Returning to the family business in 1876 following the death of his father, in 1882 he formed a partnership with his younger brother Max, as Richard Frères, and although this was dissolved in 1891 the ‘RF’ monogram was retained as the firm’s symbol. Richard Frères was noted for the design of scientific barometers in 1880s and the success of the recording barometers led to the rapid extension of the design to other forms of scientific and industrial recording, including thermometers, pyrometers, anemometers, dynamometers, chronographs, various forms of electrical measuring, and so on. Richard enregistreurs achieved enormous success during the 1880s.
Having been personally owned and managed by Jules Richard for thirty years, in 1921 the business became a public company.
Dimensions: 11” wide x 11” high x 5” deep
Stock No: BG0546